Build Great Things.
Last update: January 16, 2024
Interested in joining us? We’re hiring! Although we are a small lab, we are always looking to bring on exceptional talent to join our team. If you are interested in applying for one of the positions in this post, please follow the below two steps:
Complete this Google Form.
firstname.lastname@example.org with a description about yourself. Indicate that you have completed the form.
Member of Technical Staff
We are hiring researchers and engineers who are passionate about novel approaches to develop the next generation of nature-inspired foundation AI models together with us! We are looking for candidates who we believe have the potential to build great things — people who have passions in pushing the boundaries of areas such as evolutionary computation, generative AI, open-endedness, collective intelligence, artificial life and autonomous agents.
Ideal candidates can demonstrate this by highlighting previous projects or publications related to AI that they are proud of showcasing. For candidates with academic backgrounds, we will be interested in your publications in venues such as NeurIPS, ICLR, GECCO, ALIFE, MLSys, JMLR, ICML, IROS, or other peer-reviewed journals or conferences. The ability to write high quality code and having experience contributing to popular open-source software projects will be a strong asset.
We will not be offering remote positions. Candidates will be expected to be physically based in Tokyo, but we will provide assistance with the Visa application process if needed. We will be offering positions from 4-6 month internships, part-time student researcher (for graduate students), 1-year visiting researcher, to full time roles.
Pushing the boulder of civilization ever upwards gives us purpose.
Computing Platform Engineer
We are looking for a computing platform specialist to help manage our compute infrastructure as we advance. This role is a contract role, and we are open to remote and part-time candidates. While the position can be remote, the candidate is expected to travel occasionally to Tokyo, so we expect the candidate to be based in Japan.
The ideal candidate will have experience working with GPU-based HPC infrastructure such as ABCI, in addition to the more popular global providers such as Amazon AWS and Google Cloud. Being bi-lingual in Japanese and English, to navigate domestic compute platforms, will be useful, as well as to communicate with an international team. The candidate is expected to know how to apply and set up accounts, and administer usage. Experience with SLURM, UNIX admin, shell scripting and writing Python scripts to manage administrative jobs will be great.
Tokyo has the potential to become a Global R&D Powerhouse for Generative AI.
We believe that AI is the most important technological development in this century. R&D in AI will lead to continued transformation of our entire civilization. How people, and by extension, businesses and governments, use technology is entering a phase of rapid transformation — one that is effectively accelerated by AI. As a business analyst, you will help Sakana AI prepare for opportunities to impact the broader ecosystem of business and government organizations in Japan and globally. For the role of Business Analyst, we are looking for candidates who are passionate about long term R&D in AI, and can work on long term, sustainable opportunities as we advance.
The ideal candidate will have worked at a Global Investment Bank in Tokyo, as an Analyst or Associate, or have worked at a top management consulting firm, with experience working with Japanese organizations. The candidate is expected to be proficient in Business-level Japanese. Having a strong passion in using Generative AI models, such as large language models or image generation models will be an asset.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Develop and implement financial strategies, financial planning, budgeting, and forecasting.
- Develop and implement the company’s overall business strategy.
- Collaborate with COO to oversee financial operations, including accounting, financial reporting, tax, audit, and compliance.
- Establish and maintain strong relationships with external partners, including investors and strategic business partners.
Qualifications and Skills
- Proven experience at a Global Investment Bank in Tokyo, as an Analyst or Associate in the Investment Banking Division (IBD) or Equity Capital Markets (ECM) areas (or similar), working with Japanese organizations, working on fundraising, M&A, and IPOs
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Finance, Business Administration, Economics, Law, or a related field. Degrees in Computer Science, Machine Learning will be a big plus.
- Proficient in English and Business-level Japanese
- Experience in an executive finance leadership role in a startup is a plus.
- A passion for using Generative AI models such as LLMs and/or image generation models will be an asset.